Bookmark Tips, Tricks, & Brilliant Ideas E-book
Stitching and Finishing Cross Stitch and Embroidered BookmarksI don’t want to think about, let alone admit, how long I’ve been saying I would collect and assemble the myriad bookmark tips, tricks, and tutorials I’ve posted over the past five years in The Needlework Nutshell, on the Funk & Weber website, and on the Stitching for Literacy blog. I also don’t want to think about the posts and articles I missed: There are over 1,200 to sift through! Who knew?
I do, however, want to tell you about Bookmark Tips, Tricks, & Brilliant Ideas (and, apparently, I also want to type that over and over. Whose idea was it to give it such a long title, anyway?)
First of all, this is a work-in-progress. The compound adjective “ready-made,” as in “ready-made tags,” will be properly hyphenated in the Table of Contents in the future (I know you feel the same relief I do), and I will add posts and articles as I continue to uncover and develop them.
Why a Bookmark E-book?Every year during the Needle and Thread: Stitching for Literacy Bookmark Challenge, I’m peppered with questions about how to finish bookmarks. Invariably, I search the Stitching for Literacy blog for links to useful posts and wish I had an easy way to find tutes from old newsletters.
I like writing the blog and newsletter because it forces me to generate ideas, some of which turn out to be good, especially when critiqued and improved by readers. The blog and newsletter are a sort of public needlework playground.
But blog posts are quickly buried, and newsletter articles, while archived, cannot be easily searched. The good stuff–or suddenly relevant stuff–gets lost within the mountain of other stuff.
Part of the reason I wanted to redesign the Funk & Weber site was to organize How To tutorials to make them accessible. I wanted to make the Bookmark e-book to organize and make accessible the tips, tricks, & brilliant ideas we’ve shared in the past.
The e-book currently contains the following:
- Online Resources - links to step-by-step tutorials on the Funk & Weber site.
- Bookmark Forms & Backings
- Hooks & Ribbons - So the embroidery can be visible.
- Stitch Bands - Three ways to finish those short ends.
- Card Stock: Ready-Made Tags
- Card Stock: Stitching Cards
- Card Stock: Self-Made Backing - Includes printable templates.
- Card Stock: Window Bookmarks - Includes printable templates.
- Stitching on Card Stock - A how-to.
- Protective Vinyl Sleeves - We carry them, as does Gayle at Accents, Inc.
- Sisu’s Pocket Bookmark - A step-by-step tutorial.
- Outreach Patterns - Patterns plus the super-quick finishing method we use during outreach Make-It-Take-Its.
- Bookmarks 101 Class - For a more in-depth exploration of finishing techniques.
How to Get the E-book
The e-book is free when you subscribe to The Needlework Nutshell, our mailing list.